Valencia de Alcántara: Sights

TOWN HALL

TOWN HALL

City or Municipality of Valencia de Alcántara was built in the sixteenth century, during the reign of Philip II. Throughout its history held numerous renovations and expansions, the testimony of one of them will be showing us the granite marker that is conserved under the shield of the Villa, the 1691 vintage and not Carlos Carlos III II, as indicated by the information signal .

Read more

CASTLE FORTRESS

CASTLE FORTRESS

Castle Fortress: officially dated in S.XIII, though possibly originates from the Muslim period witnessed by the remains of a watchtower and possible construction that form the tank. Once completed the Reconquista expands and passes through several renovations and reconstructions due to incessant border wars up to the point that we can view corresponding to the last modification time of the eighteenth century.

Read more

CONVENT OF MONTESINOS

Previously dedicated to the cult of San Bartolomé and San Francisco.

Read more

THE CHRIST OF THE BATTLES OF BERRUGUETE

THE CHRIST OF THE BATTLES OF BERRUGUETE

Another artistic jewel preserved in the temple of Rocamadour is the size of the ”Christ of the Battles”, commonly called ”the Christ of trash” by sculptor figure crowd gave crucified.

Read more

CHURCH OF THE INCARNATION

CHURCH OF THE INCARNATION

The temple was built about 1490. Has three cruise ships with soft screw domes and dome and two towers and a clock tower. Stresses the altarpiece of the venerated from 1624 large image of Christ of the Good Death.

Read more

FOUNTAIN MONROY

FOUNTAIN MONROY

Fountain granite located in the southern city of Valencia de Alcántara. Has two openings closed with arches, shoots cornice.

Read more

THE MARBLE FOUNTAIN BEACH

THE MARBLE FOUNTAIN BEACH

Parts of Carrara marble, donated by the Marquis of Labrador their home village. The installation of the pipe that brings water in the square Gregorio Bravo, known as ”The Beach”.

Read more

SHIELDS OF NOBILITY

On the facades of stately houses and headstones tombstones in the temples of Rocamadour and the Incarnation are counted until ninety-three coats belonging to lineages including intersections and Penaranda (the most abundant), Sotomayor, Bravo de Jerez and Jerez, Escobar, Mendoza, Figueroa, Chumacero , Contreras, Marquis of Labrador, Cid de Rivera, Ulloa and others, very well kept and allow to address the history of the city from a unique perspective.

Read more

HERMITAGE OF THE VIRGIN OF THE REMEDIES

HERMITAGE OF THE VIRGIN OF THE REMEDIES

From a small chapel that existed in 1682 shrine of the patron saint today emerged.

Read more

VIRGIN AND SAINTS JUANES

It is certainly the most important paintings of the famous frontiersman Luis de Morales, ”the Divine”, painted expressly ordered by Commander Bravo from Jerez to the palace ”Carballar Master”, built by the Master of the Order of Alcántara, Don Juan Sotomayor, which is located on the farm now known as Tufts Foundation.

Read more

"PONTARRÓN DE LOS GARABÍOS"

Bridge two eyes covering the Alburrel, about 6 km to the N-NE of the city of Valencia de Alcántara.

Read more

BRIDGE DOWN

Also called the Stone Bridge, is a bridge of an eye, located on the shores of Avid, the NE of the city. Identified as Roman by Avila Vega (1992)

Read more

ARCHPRIESTAL TEMPLE OF ROCAMADOR

ARCHPRIESTAL TEMPLE OF ROCAMADOR

Abundant documentation is that this temple was declared a National Historical character in 1982, why has conducted extensive restoration and improvements, which lasted until 1989 in the amount of approximately ESP 18.5 million.

Read more

CONVENT OF SAN PEDRO DE LOS MAJARRETES

CONVENT OF SAN PEDRO DE LOS MAJARRETES

Famous Franciscan convent made ??famous penitent San Pedro de Alcántara. Maintained and from the parish convent temple that has the distinction of having two overlapping altars at the top, with the image of Santa regard, the patron of the village, preserving a relic (piece of bone) of Santa Alcantarino.

Read more

CONVENT OF SANTA ANA - CLARES - TEMPLE OF "PARENTS"

The temple was partly Chapel, half of that convent building strong half, called ”Monastery of Santa Ana nuns of the Order of St. Clara”

Read more

SYNAGOGUE

SYNAGOGUE

Singular dated between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries served Temple prayer for the Jewish community established in 1492 to build the village.

Read more

HERMITAGE OF VALBON

HERMITAGE OF VALBON

Gothic chapel retains its original path. The Virgin was proclaimed patroness of Valbon Valencia de Alcántara in 1618 and ratified in 1678 under local devotion.

Read more

AQUEDUCT

AQUEDUCT

Located in the alley of La Barca, saving the brook Peje, about 1 km from the town, had 17 arches and 20 other small superior ”to ease the job”, it was the height of construction of water from San Pedro to the ”lake”, where the water pouring, upturned portion that measure long and 18 meters above 124´5 Arroyo Peje.

Read more

GOTHIC QUARTER

GOTHIC QUARTER

Jewish Gothic Quarter is located in the northeast of the city walls. The houses have a very narrow specific typology of popular medieval houses, lots, medians deep, marked by vertical facades and forming compact housing blocks and numerous narrow following a long line of mostly narrow streets and wide but fairly regular.

Read more

BRANDS OF BRICKLAYERS

BRANDS OF BRICKLAYERS

The ”Brands of the Masons” or also called stone signs, personal records are recorded by the masons, to indicate that it is their job and thus charge the amount of stone cutting.

Read more

REMAINS OF THE WALLED ENCLOSURE OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

REMAINS OF THE WALLED ENCLOSURE OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

After the continuous wars with Portugal, the medieval walled city had almost disappeared, leaving the defenseless population, so in 1765 by Royal Decree of 26 February, the construction of a new walled order.

Read more

Share

Weather

Unknown

15°C

Vª de Alcántara

Unknown

Humidity: 76%

Wind: 17.7 km/h

  • 11 Feb 2016

    Mostly Cloudy 14°C 9°C

  • 12 Feb 2016

    Rain 14°C 11°C

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR